At Norfolk we believe that developing a child's love for reading and writing will unlock the gateway to a successful future. Therefore, we are committed to delivering the best provision and opportunities for quality reading and writing.
We are a Read Write Inc. School and use the RWInc. Phonics programme to teach our children to read, write and spell. We use RWInc. from FS2 to Y2 and as a catch-up programme for a small number of older children who need this in Y3 and Y4.
Our school is currently part of a RWInc. Training programme offered in conjunction with the Department for Education's Teaching and Leadership Innovation Fund (TLIF). This is where the government is committed to raising life chances for every child – regardless of background.
We aspire to raise standards in reading and writing for our children:
- All of our staff are expertly trained by Ruth Miskin Training.
- We gain the latest programme updates through regular visits from our Ruth Miskin trainer.
- We support our most vulnerable readers with extra one-to-one teaching every day.
- We have a dedicated phonics leader who supports staff on a daily basis with the delivery of RWI, makes regular assessments and tracks the children's progress every 6 weeks.
Read Write Inc. is an Ofsted recommended and highly acclaimed phonics programme which teaches children the 'Simple View of Reading', how letters and sounds in English are related (the alphabetic code). The children rapidly learn sounds and the letter or groups of letters they need to represent those sounds.
Children read well-written, lively phonic books which are closely matched to children's increasing knowledge of phonics and 'tricky' words, so that they always experience plenty of success. Repeated readings of the texts support their increasingly fluent decoding. Children also develop the skills for comprehension through discussion of each story, helping them to both understand what they are reading and to build up their knowledge of how texts are structured.
To teach children to:
- Learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letters/letter groups using simple picture prompts.
- Apply the skill of blending phonemes in order to read words (FRED TALK).
- Read high frequency words that do not conform to regular phonic patterns.
- Read texts that are within their phonic capabilities as early as possible.
- Decode texts effortlessly so all their resources can be used to comprehend what they read.
- Segment words into their constituent phonemes in order to spell words (FRED FINGERS).
- Learn that blending and segmenting words are reversible processes.
- Spell effortlessly so that all their resources can be directed towards composing their writing.
- Share their love for reading with parents and become avid readers.